Irvin~House Vineyards’ Annual Grape Stomping Festival is scheduled every August at Irvin~House Vineyards located on Wadmalaw Island. Admission is only $10.00 per car. The public is invited to join in the yearly harvest and stomping of the grapes at Charleston's only winery, Irvin~House Vineyards, located at 6775 Bears Bluff Road on Wadmalaw Island. Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or a blanket to picnic on the expansive lawn, but no coolers please.
The highlight of the Grape Stomping Festival is the Lucy Look-A-Like Contest, where "I Love Lucy" Fans will get their chance to don their best Lucy costume and reenact the famous 1956 episode of "I Love Lucy" when Lucy takes a job in a vineyard and stomps grapes. Along with the Lucy Look-A-Like Contest, a new contest has been added to bring out competitors who aren’t afraid to get a little dirty. The contest will consist of teams of two who will compete in a grape stomping contest to see who can produce the most juice from 20 lbs. of grapes in three minutes.
Lucy Look-Alike Contest
Grape Stomping and Wine Tasting
Local Craft Vendors
Jump Castle, Face Painting, and Hula Hoops for the Little Stompers
Famous Frozen Wine-a-Ritas
A Portion of the Proceeds Will be Donated to a local charity TBD
ATTENTION STOMPERS: Call the office at 843-559-6867 to register
Grape Stomp Contest Rules
1. Each team shall consist of two persons. One person, the Stomper, stands inside the barrel and stomps the grapes, and the other person, the Swabber, stands outside the barrel and catches the juice in the bucket provided. The Swabber, may also reach inside the barrel to assist the Stomper and ensure a free flow of juice through the screen and out the drain spout.
2. The screen must completely cover the drain spout inside the barrel at all times.
3. Stompers may not enter the barrel until the starter begins the stomp. Stompers must stomp in an upright position and may not use their hands for support in any way. Stompers my use their hands only to enter and exit the barrel, and to regain balance if necessary,
4. Teams are judged by the amount of juice accumulated in the bucket.
5. Each team will have 20 lbs. of grapes and be given 3 minutes to stomp.
6. Have Fun!!!