Mark Your Calendar for This Year's Grape Stomping Festival: Saturday, August 29 Noon - 5:00 p.m.
It’s going to be a “grape” time at the 12th Annual Grape Stomping Festival on Saturday, August 29, from 12:00 p.m. until 5 p.m. at Irvin~House Vineyards. Visitors can stomp local muscadines for the Grape Stomping Contest, compete in the annual Lucy Look-Alike Contest and enjoy a fun-filled day under the oaks at Charleston’s only vineyard and winery. Admission is only $10.00 per car, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting Pet Helpers and Frierson Elementary School.
To fuel the visitors who want to stomp to victory, local food vendors will be on-site including: Chucktown Mobile Seafood, Costal Crust, Home Team BBQ, Korki's Cafe, Sweet Lulu's Bakery, Old Salt Gourmet Pretzels, King of Pops, and Ben & Jerry's. Music will be provided byRawberry Jam and Pierce Edens.
Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or a blanket to picnic on the expansive lawn, but no coolers please. Along with live music and local craft vendors, there will be a jump castle, face painting, and hula hoops for the little stompers.
Tastings in the Firefly Vodka distillery and Irvin~House Vineyard winery are only $6.00 to taste 6 of 26 flavors of Firefly spirits and $5.00 to taste 5 wines. The Vineyard’s famous frozen Wine-a-Ritas will be for sale to combat the summer heat.
The highlight of the Grape Stomping Festival is the Lucy Look-ALike Contest, where "I Love Lucy" Fans will get their chance to don their best Lucy costume and reenact the famous 1956 episode of "I Love Lucy" when Lucy takes a job in a vineyard and stomps grapes.
Along with the Lucy Look-A-Like Contest, the grape stomping contest brings out competitors who aren’t afraid to get a little dirty. The contest will consist of teams of two who will compete in a grape stomping contest to see who can produce the most juice from 20 lbs. of grapes in three minutes. To sign up your team or read rules about the competition, visit www.charlestonwine.com. Email your team information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Charleston's only winery, Irvin~House Vineyards, is located at 6775 Bears Bluff Road on Wadmalaw Island.
What: 12th Annual Irvin~House Vineyard Grape Stomping Festival
When: Saturday, August 29, 2015 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Where: Irvin~House Vineyard, 6775 Bears Bluff Road, Wadmalaw Island
Cost: $10.00 per car
For more information, visit www.charlestonwine.com
Lucy Look-Alike Contest
Grape Stomping and Wine Tasting
Local Craft Vendors
Jump Castle, Face Painting, and Hula Hoops for the Little Stompers
Famous Frozen Wine-a-Ritas
A Portion of the Proceeds Will be Donated to a local charity TBD
ATTENTION STOMPERS: Call the office at 843-559-6867 to register
Grape Stomp Contest Rules
1. Each team shall consist of two persons. One person, the Stomper, stands inside the barrel and stomps the grapes, and the other person, the Swabber, stands outside the barrel and catches the juice in the bucket provided. The Swabber, may also reach inside the barrel to assist the Stomper and ensure a free flow of juice through the screen and out the drain spout.
2. The screen must completely cover the drain spout inside the barrel at all times.
3. Stompers may not enter the barrel until the starter begins the stomp. Stompers must stomp in an upright position and may not use their hands for support in any way. Stompers my use their hands only to enter and exit the barrel, and to regain balance if necessary,
4. Teams are judged by the amount of juice accumulated in the bucket.
5. Each team will have 20 lbs. of grapes and be given 3 minutes to stomp.
6. Have Fun!!!